PayPal Donation Link

PayPal Donation Link
PayPal Donations For continued research into British foxes and canids world wide

Friday 31 March 2023

Vale Wildlife Group (1994)

 


The Vale Wildlife Group (covering specifically Ashton Vale in the BS3 area) was set up in 1994 after I discovered that Avon wildlife trust had declared it a "wildlife deprivation area".

On my first night I was face-to-face with the largest hedgehog I had ever seen and while watching it two barn owls flew so low overhead I could see all the face and feather details. Returning into the house I looked out to see a pair of foxes strolling up the road. There were so many butterflies, moths and beetles and other insects that I lost count and when I saw the woodpecker as well as all the other local birds including sparrow hawks and buzzards I said to myself "This is the kind of wildlife deprivation area I can live with"!

Remember this was all within a day of moving in. I kept local records and found frogs, toads, newts wall lizards and much much more. Avon Wildlife told me that as I was not a member my records were of no interest (it was that blunt). Oh, bats of course and otters not to mention deer and badgers.

I was called in to remove an adder (they are still in the area) from a garden and various other things. The biggest problem was that locals were decidedly anti wildlife. I just could not understand it and a few efforts to re-invigorate wildlife were damaged by local residents.

 When Yanley Quarry was going to be turned into a park area for locals I was asked to set up a wildlife area complete with pond and received a copy of the wildlife survey team report to help me work things out.

The Quarry company  had nothing but negativity from locals (to create a park and wildlife area??) and I endured three years of harassment and more just for being involved (unpaid I might add).

When I sought permission to "re-wild" the old coal-pit area in South Liberty Lane the word spread -as did local anger.  Willow wands were planted to create a small wooded area but these were pulled up by locals and some were thrown into my garden -a warning I suppose?

Thankfully those people either moved on or passed away and I would hope that the younger, newer locals would be far more happy to re-wild the area or at least encourage more wildlife and help educate youngsters -they are after all going to be the ones looking after our environment in the future.

For 2023 if I can get council cooperation, I want to carry out a survey of the old coal yard and see whether a plan to plant willows and some fast growing conifers can be formulated -but that really requires local help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE THINK and DON'T!

  I know it never sinks in and people are still going to do this but we've had a fox die because one of these deflated balloons fell int...