PayPal Donation Link

PayPal Donation Link
PayPal Donations For continued research into British foxes and canids world wide

Thursday 11 April 2024

Natural History In Bristol -I Really Am Going To Be Disliked (and I do not care)




Here is why Bristol Nature Network and Bristol Naturalist Society on Face Book are of no real interest.

For five years I have attempted to get discussions going on fox deaths and health as well as badger and otter deaths and issues surrounding them. I posted about what the post mortems had discovered; those findings as well as previously noted topics should have created discussion amongst the 6k+ members. Nothing.
Well there were some snide remarks and a few "Likes" but other than that a couple posts on why we need a wildlife care centre in Bristol being deleted as "campaigning" when the posts were referring to the health of Bristol wildlife which is NOT campaigning and I thought were the aims of naturalists.
I am that "mad person" -a field naturalist- that people want to ignore and not engage with. Today I was sent an item that appeared on Bristol Nature Network. So this is okay like the regular meet up for drinks but not LOCAL wildlife matters unless it is bees, butterflies and birds?
We have LOCAL Bristol based wildlife issues and yet out of 6K+ members no one interested? Just sit back and wait for the sunny photo opp weather?
Foxes and badgers are heading (factually proven) for extinction as are other UK species but let's not talk about that. Petitioning Bristol City Council for wildlife over'/underpasses to stop the hundreds of foxes and badgers killed each year in Bristol accident hot spots? Well.... it's so tiring having to think let alone do something active.
Neither the BNN or BNS have members representing naturalists who go out into the field to study and work...let me give you a definition of a Naturalist:
"A naturalist is any person who studies the natural world. Naturalists make observations of the relationships between organisms and their environments, as well as how those relationships change over time. One of the most well-known examples of a naturalist is Charles Darwin."
I am also called a mammalogist:
"Mammalogist. A mammalogist studies and observes mammals. In studying mammals, they can observe their habitats, contributions to the ecosystem, their interactions, and the anatomy and physiology. A mammalogist can do a broad variety of things within the realm of mammals."
Where are the naturalists and mammalogists in Bristol?
Well, I know where I am and I know where the local wildlife rescuer is who is far more of a naturalist than others in the City and County.
Pissed off? Yes, I am because 6K+ as well as the thousands on local wildlife groups are sitting on their asses while our wildlife and environment go down the toilet.
I was a young naturalist from a child and I will continue to be til the day I die and I at least will have left a legacy of decades of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wildlife Deaths and the Need to Take Positive Action. Email to The Green Party

 My policy has always been to make no secret of correspondence that involves wildlife issues. These are all open and show what is being disc...