PayPal Donation Link

PayPal Donation Link
PayPal Donations For continued research into British foxes and canids world wide

Monday 9 November 2020

The Curious Case of the Meat-Eating Wasps (Ye, I am sure they were wasps not zombies)

 It is not the greatest footage but I had several people who would not believe me when I told them that I had meat-eating wasps.

I first noticed how food left by hedgehogs in a dish was gradually vanishing during the day. I observed flies on the left-overs and then I saw a wasp kill a fly on the food. What I saw next I had not witnessed before.  The wasp took a piece of the left-over cat food that was almost the equal of its own size and flew off (badly) with the morsel.

I saw other wasps cut away pieces of chicken slices and fly off with said morsels. Some 2-3 (I assume there might have been others but as none carried identification numbers I have no idea) wasp finished off quite a bit of meat and at times I had to chase them off (or tried to as they were rather big bullies) for a cat to get the food.

Of course, the wasps needed the meat as it wa a good source of protein that they would need. Hopefully, if we get a good summer in 2021 I can get better footage.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wildlife Deaths and the Need to Take Positive Action. Email to The Green Party

 My policy has always been to make no secret of correspondence that involves wildlife issues. These are all open and show what is being disc...